We’ve made it easy for you to apply with our innovative 3-step process:
- Complete Documentation Online
- Submit Your Documents Online
- Process & Issue
Please note: The following documents are all part of the online application process and will be available for download in the corresponding section of the permit application
1. SAPS 520:
2. Proof of ownership:
- Firearm license / Firearm registration form: The firearm details with serial number must be on the form
- For hunters traveling from the United States of America the CBP4457 Customs Form will be sufficient. Please note that this form must be dated, signed, and stamped by US customs
3. US Customs CBP4457:
- Download CBP4457
- The latest CBP4457 Customs form can be downloaded here. You must take your firearms to your nearest customs office in the USA to get the form issued, signed, and stamped by US customs, please ensure all the firearm details and the serial number reflects on the form. Must be certified as true copies by a notary or your local sheriff
4. Hunting Invitation Letter from outfitter:
- This letter has to be on a company letterhead that includes the following:
- Registered Outfitter Number
- Registered PH Number
- Office Address
- Contact Details
- Name of Concession Area where the hunt will take place
- Date of the planned hunt
- Species of Animals that the hunter is planning on hunting – (this is for the SAPS to verify if the rifle calibers are suitable)
5. Mandate Form:
6. Copy of photo page of passport:
- This copy must be certified as a true copy by a notary or your local sheriff
- You have to have a minimum of THREE blank pages left in your passport
- Your passport has to be valid for at least four months beyond your planned return date
7. Complete Itinerary from travel agent:
- Copy obtained from travel agent
- Can be substituted with your return airline tickets
Q: How many days prior to my arrival do you need my documents?
A: At least 30 days prior to arrival
Q: Can I submit my application if it is less than 30 days prior to my arrival?
A: Yes please send us your documents. We can also meet you on arrival at the airport to apply for the permit
Q: Can I still bring my firearms if I did not submit the application 30 days prior to arrival?
A: Yes, we can still meet you on arrival and assist you to apply for the permit on arrival
Q: Does my choice of airline influence my application?
A: No, but the airlines all have different requirements when travelling with firearms. We will also assist with this
Q: Do all South African domestic flights allow firearms?
A: No, at this moment only SA Airlink, Fly Safair and CEM Air accepts firearms for domestic travel
Q: What will happen once I land in South Africa?
A: We will send you detailed instructions on what to do, we will also be there with the original permit to meet you and assist you through the process, making it easy and hassle free
Q: If I am a USA traveler, will the CBP4457 customs form be sufficient to serve as proof of ownership of the firearms?
Q: Must the CBP4457 customs form be signed, dated, and stamped by the US customs official before I send it?
Q: How do I obtain an issued CBP4457 customs form?
A: You must take your firearms to your nearest US customs office in the US to get the form issued, signed, dated, and stamped by a US customs official
Q: Can my ammunition be packed inside my rifle case?
A: No, the ammunition must be packed in a locked ammunition box (metal or plastic) packed inside your check-in luggage
Q: If I apply for a pre-approved permit, must I sign the SAPS520 form before I send it?
A: Yes, please sign and complete both sections 4.1-4.4 and J1-4 on page 6 before you send it to us
Q: Can I apply for two firearms of the same caliber?
A: No, this is not allowed
Q: Do I need to use a travel agent:
A: We will recommend that you make use of a travel agent specializing in hunting travel, the travel agents are always up to date on the latest requirements for example which airlines carry firearms and ammunition etc.
Q: Are handguns and semi automatic rifles and shotguns allowed
A: Yes only in special circumstances, please contact us for requirements
Q: Are two rifles/shotguns/handguns of the same caliber allowed